THE HISTORY
 

The building dates back to the end of the 16th century, about 1575-1580. The name "Barone" derives from the noble title of the painter Guglielmo Caccia (1568 - 1625) known as "Moncalvo" who, according to tradition, used to pass periods of pleasurable hunting on his property of Penango.

In 1774 Count Francesco Ottavio Magnocavalli transferred his residence to the "Barone" locality. This fact is confirmed towards the end of the century by the book "Libro Figurato" which also notes the restoration work carried out by Magnocavalli, which constituted its architectural characteristics which are conserved until the present day.

In his pastoral visit to Penango, Bishop Malabajla verified the inventory of the chapel's vestments. This visit has been dated to the period between 1830 and 1846 and thus it is considered that the chapel was built at the start of the century, substituting the pre-existing one. "...there are three small country churches... the third with the name of St. John the Baptist adjoins a cottage belonging to the lawyer Cotti.." (MUNICIPAL LIBRARY 1, XIV, 347).

In that period the estate carried out silk worm cultivation. In 1989 it became property of the Colombo family who carried out a thorough but careful restoration of the whole estate, including the chapels, bringing the interior and the north facade to its original state, maintaining the ever present agricultural features and allowing space for its particular type of production (game, rose-garden, holiday farm, fruit and wine).